Public Act 166 of 2020 was passed and appropriated funding for the Teacher and School Support COVID-19 Grant program. These grants provide support from the state of Michigan directly to teachers in both public and non-public schools who continued to provide instruction to students throughout last spring. These grants are to acknowledge incurred extra expenses and/or additional time spent by classroom teachers facilitating online instruction to students last spring.
Cranbrook Schools has determined the full and part-time classroom teachers eligible for this grant. An email, Certification Form 5734, and full-time equivalency (FTE) will be sent to eligible teachers today, November 9, 2020.
If you do not receive an email, and you believe you are eligible for the COVID-19 Grant, you may appeal your eligibility to the School by sending appeal in writing by December 4, 2020 to the following email address: TeacherCovidGrant@cranbrook.edu
If you received an email that your FTE status is less than 1.0, and you think this is incorrect, you may send your appeal in writing to the following email address by December 4, 2020: TeacherCovidGrant@cranbrook.edu
Information on how to apply for this grant can be found in this link to the State of Michigan COVID-19 Program Grant Information:
The following is additional information on this grant:
For this grant, the state defines "Classroom Teacher" as a full-time or part-time K-12 teacher with an assigned class who provided continuity of learning to students during the 2019-20 period of school closure that resulted from COVID-19.
The state requires that an educator must meet three specific criteria to be defined as a “Classroom Teacher” for the purposes of these grants:
- Prior to April 2, 2020 teacher performed at least 75% of his/her standard instructional workload in a brick and mortar classroom
- After April 2, 2020 teacher developed tools and methods to deliver distance learning, take-home packets, or other methods for continuity of learning plans
- The teacher certifies that he/she worked additional time outside of normal working hours, experienced hazardous conditions, or incurred additional costs related to ensuring students could effectively participate in the school's learning plan.
Support Staff at independent schools are not eligible.
- 11/09/2020 – Schools will email Form 5734 and FTE calculation to eligible teachers
- 12/04/2020 - by 12:00 pm eligible teachers to return completed Form 5734
- 12/04/2020 – Any staff that believes they were incorrectly NOT included, should submit a written appeal of eligibility status or FTE status To TeacherCovidGrant@cranbrook.edu.
- 12/16/2020 – Cranbrook submits final list of eligible grant recipients to Michigan Department of Treasury
- 02/25/2021 - Check to be mailed to address provided on Form 5734
Director of Business Operations-Schools
November 9, 2020